Michael Haseltine Scholarship
The Michael Haseltine Scholarship Fund was established at the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation in memory of Michael Haseltine, former Deputy Director of EITAS (Empowering Individuals Through Advocacy and Support) to honor Michael Haseltine for his ceaseless caring and tireless advocacy for individuals with developmental disabilities.
The Fund assists residents of Jackson County, Missouri who are either:
- individuals with developmental disabilities intending to further their education at a two-year or four-year college or university or a vocational or technical school; or
- individuals intending to further their education at a two-year or four-year college or university or a vocational or technical school whose major studies will focus on working in the developmental disability field.
The students eligible for assistance shall:
- have their primary residence in Jackson County (even though they may attend post-secondary school outside of Jackson County);
- either have developmental disabilities or have or plan to have a course of study the major focus of which is working in the developmental disability field;
- be enrolled in or planning to enroll in a two-year or four-year college or university or a vocational or technical school; and
- demonstrate a commitment to furthering their education.
In choosing between multiple applicants for scholarship assistance each of whom meets one or the other of the criteria described in clause (b), preference will be given to applicants who themselves have developmental disabilities. Academic progress, extracurricular activities, community service and financial need may also be taken into consideration.
These scholarships will be supplemental for students who have already earned academic scholarships. Scholarships may provide for tuition, fees, books and other required course-related expenses.