Huang Leadership Development Scholarship
Bob and Lily Huang and Concentrix are proud to present the Huang Leadership Development Scholarship, an educational opportunity for the valued employees of Concentrix – past and present – and their families.
Bob and Lily’s leadership and vision laid the groundwork for SYNNEX (Concentrix is a former subsidiary of SYNNEX) with the company’s founding in 1980. Bob served as SYNNEX’s President and CEO from the corporation’s inception until November 30, 2008. He retired as Chairman of the Board of Directors on June 21, 2010.
Bob, the Founder, former CEO & Chairman of the Board of SYNNEX Corporation, and his wife Lily wish to recognize those who contributed to the success of SYNNEX by offering scholarship opportunities to associates and their families who pursue personal leadership development through higher education.
Bob’s vision of leadership includes mentoring the many associates he has worked with since founding SYNNEX in 1980. As SYNNEX grew into a global enterprise, countless careers were launched along the way. This spirit of leadership that uplifts entire communities is the lasting SYNNEX legacy that has inspired his scholarship program.
Bob and Lily hope to support the next generation of leaders in entrepreneurship, sciences, humanities and the arts. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on academic achievement excellence and leadership qualities as evidenced by their personal statement, letters of reference, and community involvement.
About the Scholarship
The scholarship is open to current Concentrix staff, past staff, and their dependents who are driven to become global leaders through their pursuit of higher education.
Applicants are allowed from any country as long as the recipient is accepted into or currently enrolled full-time in an approved college or university in an undergraduate program in Canada, the U.S., China, Japan or India.
Up to $10,000 USD
Number of Awards
Up to 20 awards based on the availability of funds and number of applications. A combination of new one-time and renewable scholarships will be made, renewable scholarships recipients must meet renewal requirements.
- Finalists must interview with the selection committee
- Previous applicants/recipients may reapply
Scholarships are renewable for up to 3 years, provided students maintain full-time enrollment, a minimum 3.0 GPA, continue to show leadership qualities and be actively involved in leadership activities.
Each scholarship expresses a deep belief in the power of education and its ability to help young people achieve their dreams. Award recipients must be willing to share their experience with their peers and future applicants.
- Current employee or past employee, or a legal dependent or grandchild of a current or past employee of Concentrix, or its subsidiaries who left the company in good standing
- Current employee or past employee, or a legal dependent or grandchild of a current or past employee that worked for Concentrix or its subsidiaries for a minimum of three years at the time of the application deadline.
- Demonstrated academic excellence and leadership qualities through activities in school, community or social service activities.
- Accepted into and confirmed intent to enroll OR currently enrolled in a 4-year undergraduate program at one of the colleges or universities listed below.
U.S. National Colleges/Universities: U.S. News & World Report 2021, National University Rankings – Top 100
U.S. National Liberal Arts Colleges/Universities: U.S. News & World Report 2021, National Liberal Arts College Rankings – Top 100
Canada: US News & World 2021 , Best Global Universities in Canada
China: US News & World Report 2021, Best Global Universities in China _Top 50 in China,
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- University of Science and Technology of China
- Zhejiang University
- Nanjing University
- Fudan University
- Sun Yat-sen University
- University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Wuhan University
- Tongji University
- Hunan University
- Central South University
- Xiamen University
- Xi’an Jiaotong UniversitySouth China University of Technology
- Southeast University
- Beihang University
- Beijing Normal University
- Nankai University
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (tied 22)
- China University of Geosciences
- Tianjin University (tied 24)
- Soochow University
- China Agricultural University
- Sichuan University (tie 27)
- Shandong University
- East China Normal University
- Dalian University of Technology
- Shenzhen University
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Wuhan University of Technology
- Jilin University
- Southern University of Science & Technology
- Central China Normal University
- University of Science & Technology Beijing
- Chongqing University
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Nanjing University of Information Science & Technology
- Shanghai University (tied 41)
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- China University of Petroleum (tie 43)
- Shandong University of Science & Technology
- Nanjing Agricultural University
- Beijing Jiaotong University
- Lanzhou University
- Renmin University of China
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Nanjing University of Science & Technology (tied 50)
Or the following:
- Peking University Health Science Center, China Beijing
- Peking Union Medical College, China Beijing
- Medical Center of Fudan University, China Shanghai
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China Shanghai
India: US News & World Report 2021, Best Global Universities in India _Top 25 in India,
- Indian Institute of Science
- University of Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Panjab University
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) – Pune
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Visva Bharati University
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Banaras Hindu University
- Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) – Kolkata
- Christian Medical College & Hospital (CMCH) Vellore
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Hyderabad
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)—Chandigarh
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Guwahati
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Jadavpur University
- Manipal University
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Indore
Or the following:
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Vidya Vihar, Pilani, Rajasthan
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Kolkata Medical College, Kolkata
- Lady Hardinge College, New Delhi, Delhi
- Madras Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Maulana Azad College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- University of Pune, Pune
Japan: US News & World Report 2021, Best Global Universities in Asia, Top 100 _Top 30 in Japan,
- University of Tokyo
- Kyoto University
- Osaka University
- Tohoku University
- Nagoya University
- Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Kyushu University
- University of Tsukuba
- Hokkaido University
- Waseda University
- Kobe University
- Keio University
- Tokyo Metropolitan University
- Hiroshima University
- Okayama University (tied for 14)
- Shinshu University
- Tokyo Medical and Dental University
- Chiba University
- Graduate University for Advanced Studies – Japan
- Tokyo University of Science
- Yokohama City University
- Niigata University
- University of Occupational & Environmental Health – Japan
- Kanazawa University
- Kumamoto University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Nagasaki University
- Teikyo University
- Tokai University
- Tokyo University of Agriculture
Or the following:
- Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi
- Juntendo University, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyou
- Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka
- Sophia University, Tokyo, Tokyo
- The Jikei University school of Medicine, Minato, Tokyo
Required Supporting Documents and Guidelines
In addition to the application form, you are required to submit the following supporting documents to be considered for the Huang Leadership Development Scholarship. Greater Horizons must receive the completed online application form and all supporting materials (personal statement, letters of reference, transcripts, proof of employment OR prior employment and financial statements) in English by 11:59PM (CST) on May 15, 2021.
1. Personal Statement – Your personal statement must be 500-850 words and must address the following prompts:
- Describe yourself to the scholarship committee, your short and long-range goals and highlight your academic accomplishments.
- Share with the committee the leadership qualities you feel you possess and describe events or activities in which you have demonstrated excellence in leadership.
- Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons, discuss what you have learned from these and how you think it will help you succeed in college and ultimately in your career.
2. Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF) – Your two letters of recommendation must be signed and dated.
One letter MUST be from an academic advisor who must address your academic performance
The second letter should be ONE of the following:
- A letter regarding your leadership qualities, from a teacher, academic advisor, work or volunteer supervisor
- A letter regarding your academic distinction, from a teacher or academic advisor (current college students – the advisor should be from your field of study)
- A letter regarding your character from a teacher, academic advisor, or work or volunteer supervisor
In your application, you will be able to provide the name and email address of two people who will upload letters of reference on your behalf (be sure to ask recommenders before providing their information).
3. Official or Unofficial Transcripts of Grades
- Upload PDF versions of your transcripts with your online application.
- If your school provides electronic official transcripts, they can be sent to email@example.com
- Only mail a hard copy if your school will not issue official or unofficial transcripts directly to students. Hard copy transcripts can be mailed to the address below:
1055 Broadway Blvd. Suite 130
Kansas City, MO 64131
Required Documents for Current College Students
Submit official or unofficial college transcripts for all college coursework completed AND official or unofficial high school transcripts.
Note: Any unofficial transcripts submitted will be reviewed for inconsistencies and an official transcript may be requested at any time for confirmation. All submitted transcripts must include: student’s full name, student ID number, name of high school or college, all courses and grades, and cumulative GPA.
Required Documents for International Students
Submit official transcripts from your academic institution – both in their original language and in English (if transcripts were not originally issued in English).
Note: Request your transcripts early, as it may take 4-6 weeks for these to be generated. Ask your school if they generate electronic official transcripts that can be turned into PDF
For Frequently Asked Questions concerning the Huang Leadership Development Scholarship click here.