Kansas City, Missouri Opportunities Scholarship
“The Port Authority, through development agreements with the operators of certain casino gaming operations, has obtained commitments from those operators to make annual contributions for a period of ten years to fund a scholarship grant program. The result of this agreement is a scholarship fund that will provide scholarships to Kansas City, MO residents who are pursuing educational opportunities at accredited or certified colleges, universities and vocational/technical schools.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship, the student must meet the following:
A. Be a high school graduate or have a GED equivalent;
B. Be 17 to 25 years of age at the beginning of the term for which assistance is paid; and
C. Be a resident of Kansas City, MO, residing in a household which has a total annual income of 80% or less than the median income of Kansas City, MO households as determined by U.S. HUD and adjusted for household size (see attached guide sheet).
Applicants, as a part of their application, must provide the following:
1. A 300 word maximum essay;
2. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, employer or clergyman;
3. A copy of their high school transcript or GED certificate;
4. FAFSA Student Aid Report; and
5. Most recent copy of all 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 IRS forms filed by all members of the household. Applicants that did not file taxes the previous year must submit an IRS Transcript. To request this form call the IRS at 800-829-1040. All tax form copies must be signed or, if e-filed, a copy of the receipt must be attached.
Scholarships will be awarded on an annual basis and disbursed in two equal installments prior to each semester. Recipients must maintain full-time enrollment (minimum of 12 credit hours) and remain in academic good standing, as determined by the institution attended. Recipients must provide transcript after the fall semester certifying the hours of credit taken and the GPA maintained to receive the second installment.
Minimum of $1,000 per academic year ($500 per semester). Aid shall be used for tuition, books, room and board and activity fees at the university of attendance.
Scholarship recipients may reapply by May 1 of each year to be eligible to renew their scholarship.
Note: Completion of the Education Budget is required to be considered for this opportunity. You may go back and edit your application at any time.