Virginia Whitsitt Memorial Scholarship
The Virginia Whitsitt Memorial Scholarship Fund program provides annual scholarships to graduating seniors in honor of Helen Virginia Whitsitt. Scholarship awards are focused on students interested in pursuing a career in teaching and that demonstrate financial need. If qualified applicants are not available, the scholarship may be awarded to teachers who have returned to school for their master’s degree in education.
Students eligible for assistance must:
- Be a graduating senior from a high schools in the North Kansas City School District.
- Intend to pursue a teaching degree.
- Preference will be given to those demonstrating financial need.
One scholarship will be awarded annually and disbursed in equal payments in July and January. Recipients must continue to be enrolled full-time and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above the previous semester to be eligible for the second payment. Scholarship awards are non-renewable.
- Supplemental Questions
- In 250 words or less, please share your reasons for seeking this scholarship and how important it would be financially, for you to receive it.
- Referring back to the school and community involvement portion of your application, please describe which of these experiences (participation in a particular activity, leadership position or honor received) has been most important to you and why?
- Referring back to the Education Budget portion of your General Application, if you have not applied for other forms of financial aid, including other scholarships, grants, loans and/or work-study, please give your reason for not applying for financial aid.
- Please submit the first of two (2) required letters of recommendation. The first letter must be from a teacher or counselor within your high school.
- Please upload your second of two (2) required letters of recommendation. The second letter must be from a non-school, non-related individual.