Hispanic Development Fund (High School Seniors)
For more than 38 years, the Hispanic Development Fund Scholarship Program has encouraged Hispanic youth to attend college and accomplish their personal goals by awarding more than 4,900 scholarships totaling over $8 million to Kansas City-area students.
To qualify for an HDF Scholarship, students must:
- Be of Hispanic/Latinx Heritage.
- Be high school seniors, graduating from a Greater Kansas City metropolitan area high school. (The Greater Kansas City metropolitan area is generally defined as Cass, Clay, Jackson, Platte, Johnson and Wyandotte counties.)
- Attend/have attended a Greater Kansas City metropolitan area high school for the last three years prior to graduation.
- Accepted or enrolled in a fully accredited college or university and working toward an associate, trade/certificate, bachelor, or graduate degree.
- Enroll or be enrolled as a full-time student. (A minimum 12 credit hours for undergraduate and 9 credit hours for graduate Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed for students not planning to enroll full time.)
- U.S. Citizenship/Residency is not required
Scholarship applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Proven academic merit as reflected in GPA and answer to essay question.
- Demonstrated need for financial assistance as exhibited by family’s gross income, size of family, and other financial need.
- Demonstrated community involvement as reflected in the application.
- Applications are reviewed anonymously by the scholarship review committee.
For more information about the Hispanic Development fund, click here
- Varies (average award is $1,000)
- Supplemental Questions
- Composite ACT score
- Do you plan to take the ACT at a future date? Please provide the date if so.
- Background Information
- A. What is your country of birth?
- B. What is your family heritage?
- C. Are you bilingual in Spanish?
- Parent/Guardian Information
- Parent/Guardian 1: Highest level of education
- Parent/Guardian 1: Nationality
- Parent/Guardian 2: Highest level of education
- Parent/Guardian 2: Nationality
- Upload a copy of your parents' 2020 or 2021 tax form 1040, (page 1) or 1040EZ (page 1). Only upload YOUR tax form if you are considered an independent student by the school you are attending.
- Would you like to be considered for a DREAMer scholarship?
- Are you interested in applying to join the HDF Scholar Advisory Board? A separate application will be sent out to students who indicate their interest in forming part of this board.
- Do you plan to attending one of the following schools? These schools are matching partner institutions. Select "Not Listed" if you don't plan to attend any of these schools.
- What is your ultimate career goal?
- On the college student application, you listed your Community Service/Extracurricular Activities. Understanding that during the pandemic, community service looks different, please share if/how your community service, extracurricular activities, and family obligations have changed since the pandemic started.
- ESSAY: What do you value most about being Hispanic/Latino/Latinx? How will you carry this forth in your future to build a stronger community? (650-word essay)
- Cell Phone Number
- By typing my name below, I hereby confirm that all information provided on this application is correct and I understand that any false information automatically disqualifies me from eligibility from the Greater Kansas City Hispanic Development Fund Scholarship. I hereby give the Hispanic Development Fund Scholarship permission to share this information for the purpose of recruitment, public relations and reports. I hereby give the Hispanic Development Fund Scholarship permission to obtain and discuss information regarding my academic achievement or financial aid from the High School/College or University I am attending or previously attended. I also understand that if I am selected as a recipient of a scholarship, I will be required to attend a mandatory awards ceremony.
- Date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Full Name
- Show 8 more