Forever Friends Diana Lain Hughes Scholarship
The primary purpose of the Forever Friend Diana Lain Hughes Scholarship Fund is to provide annual scholarships to one or more graduating high school seniors or former graduates of the Shawnee Mission School District who demonstrate an interest in a career in teaching, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy or speech-language pathology.
The students eligible for assistance shall be those:
- Who are graduating high school seniors from Shawnee Mission North High School who are interested in a career in a) Teaching, b) Nursing, c) Occupational Therapy, d) Physical Therapy, or e) Speech-Language Pathology, OR
- Who graduated from the Shawnee Mission School District who are in the undergraduate Teachers College of Emporia State University; OR
- Who graduated from the Shawnee Mission School District who are in the University of Kansas School of Health Sciences and will be entering their last year of their graduate degree program in Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy or Speech-Language Pathology.
For graduating high school seniors: (i) have taken courses in the humanities and/or sciences; (ii) have participated in school and/or community service organizations; and (iii) have been admitted to a public or private college, university or technical school.
If awarded a scholarship, one-half of the scholarship will be awarded upon graduation from high school. The other one-half of the scholarship will only be awarded if the student has proven to the satisfaction of the Advisory Committee of the Fund and the Community Foundation that he or she will complete a post-secondary degree or certificate program in teaching, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy or speech-language pathology. Such other one-half of the scholarship will be awarded at the beginning of the student’s final year in such degree or certificate program.
Each scholarship payment will be sent directly to the student’s college or university at the time of fee payment. If for any reason the student does not attend the approved college or university, the money will be returned to the Community Foundation and the student will forfeit the scholarship.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please provide an example of how you have made a positive difference in someone’s life.
- Submit your college letter of acceptance.
- Please attach any financial aid award letters you have received.
- Attach your first of two (2) required letters of recommendation from school professionals (as examples, a teacher, counselor or coach).
- Attach your second of two (2) required letters of recommendation from a school professional.