Transition into Post-Secondary Studies Scholarship
The purpose of the Transition Into Post-Secondary Studies (TIPS) Scholarship Fund is to provide scholarships to high functioning students with special learning needs who plan to seek or who are seeking a two-year or four-year college degree.
Students eligible for assistance shall:
- Be graduates or graduating seniors from high school who plan to seek or who are seeking an Associates or a Bachelor’s Degree
- Reside in Johnson or Wyandotte County in Kansas or Clay, Jackson or Platte County in Missouri.
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in high school and, if applying while in college, at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in college.
- The students’ special learning needs must be evidenced by either an IEP (Individual Educational Plan) or a 504 Plan that they can submit with their scholarship application.
- Students must also explain why the college they plan to attend (or that they already attend) is a school that offers programs that align with their special learning needs.
- In addition, college students who are applying for a scholarship must provide evidence that they are using the support services for special learning needs at the school they attend.
Amount: Scholarships of up to $1,000 will be awarded for one year payable in equal installments, one-half will be payable in August for the first semester and one-half payable in January for the second semester, assuming the student continues to meet the criteria set forth above, including a contact with a member of the review committee. Scholarships shall be used for tuition, fees and/or books.
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe your special learning needs.
- Individual Educational Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan Requirement
- Please enter the following contact information for your counselor or advisor so that the Scholarship Selection Committee may request your IEP or 504 Plan. We encourage you to contact your counselor to let them know that you have submitted this request. It is your responsibility to follow up with your counselor to ensure that this information has been submitted. Provide the follwoing: (1) Contact's First Name; (2) Contact's Last Name; (3) Contact's Email; (4) Contact's Phone Number, including area code; (5) Contact's Job Title; and (6) Name of Contact's Organization.
- Describe how the school that you will attend next academic year will offer programs that align with your special learning needs. If you are already attending the school, also describe how you are using the school’s support services for special learning needs.
- Please attach one (1) letter of recommendation from one of your high school teachers, counselor or a representative from the school you are currently attending.