Second Chance Scholarship
The purpose of the Fund shall be to provide scholarships to students who have had some adversity in their lives but who desire a second chance at a brighter future by continuing their education at a two-year or four-year college or university (pursuing an associate, undergraduate and/or graduate degree) or at a vocational or technical school.
Students eligible for assistance shall:
- Be graduating from a high school or be a former high school graduate. Preference may be given to graduates of a high school in the Kansas City, KS School District or the Kansas City, MO School District;
- Have experienced some adversity in their lives;
- Demonstrate financial need; and
- Be planning to enroll in a two-year or four-year college or university to pursue an associate, undergraduate and/or graduate degree, or a vocational or technical school.
Scholarship recipients are also expected to give back to the community by completing at least 10 hours of community service each year they receive the scholarship. Ideally, the community service should also provide the scholarship recipient with a chance to work with a mentor who can provide them with valuable guidance in their education and in life. Scholarship recipients are expected to report back to the Advisory Committee of the Fund at least annually about their community service and mentor experience. If the scholarship recipient is unable to connect with a person they view as a mentor through community service, the recipient may also report to the Advisory Committee annually about one or more persons who are positive role models for the recipient in education and in life.
AMOUNT: Varies; scholarships may be awarded for tuition, fees, room and board and other education-related expenses.
Scholarships are renewable provided that the student remains enrolled in a two-year or four-year college or university, or a vocational or technical school, lives up to goals set by the Advisory Committee (which may include a minimum GPA and other personal goals) and completes at least 10 hours of community service each year the scholarship is received as described above.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please upload your most recent unofficial transcript or grade card.
- Name any scholarships that you have secured for the fall semester and if they are renewable or not.
- What is your overall life plan?
- Whom do you currently live with? For example, Mother; Father; Both Mother and Father; Other (if other, please describe your living situation)
- In at least 500 words, describe your personal story and why you need a second chance.